Saturday, November 28, 2009

lipstick letters and souvenirs


I sit on a hill looking in all directions at everything that turns out to be nothing in particular. I have forgotten how to begin a letter formally, but I am sure you will forgive me.


I walked until I was sure I was lost. I walked to the place I always go when I’m lonely and want to be alone. I lit a cigarette, because I gave up smoking on Sundays.
I want to stay here until I get caught in the rain. But I shouldn’t wait for it to happen, so I think I'll find my way back now.


Sometimes you’ll stumble in the soft sand. Perhaps then it is better to walk on the hard ground. It is, after all, more stable.
I lie when I say I do not doubt. I fear, and I hesitate. I may not always inspect my landing before I jump, but I often look back and catch my breath thinking it a miracle I did not fall to my death.
So let’s not doubt. Let’s hold hands, and push our fears aside as we jump. If we fall, at least we’ll have another to hold onto.
Let’s pack our burdens together and walk to somewhere we have never been before. Let’s be scared together, until we are no longer scared at all.
Let’s find ourselves as we discover one another while get lost on our road to abandoning ‘I’ for ‘we’.

No comments:

Post a Comment